The science curriculum at Marlborough Road provides children with a:
- Coherent, substantive knowledge of the scientific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics that provides pupils with:
- a secure, deep understanding of the nature, processes and principles of science through clear instruction and deliberate practice.
- an ability to apply long-term knowledge to make predictions and connections between disciplines, and recognise the uses and implications of science in the wider world.
- Gradual understanding of ‘vertical concepts’, taken from the Association for Science Education’s ‘big ideas’ in science.
- Grounding in core disciplinary knowledge, and the ability to systematically approach challenging, scientifically-valid questions through:
- Scientific Attitudes & Planning
asking scientifically relevant scientific questions and designing controlled investigations.
learning how to use scientific apparatus like rulers and thermometers, and making systematic observations.
setting up data collection tables and presenting this data in a variety of charts and graphs.
interpreting and analysing findings; drawing conclusions and evaluating the reliability of investigations.
- Excitement for science, that inspires a curiosity about natural phenomena and the world around them.
For more information, please download our overviews for science.